Tuesday, December 20, 2011


Tuesday, December 20Warning…there are photos in this blog of Marsha's surgery. Hopefully they won't gross any of you out!

Marsha's surgery on Friday went very well. Hopefully, this will correct the problems that were beginning to affect her vision. She had to have both upper and lower lids corrected increasing the expose to the eye. Dr. Shah told her that after all the swelling goes down, her lids will be even. She should have 100% of her field of vision back. To say the least, she is thrilled! The surgery took a little over a hour and a half. Our sister-in-law, Chris, took Marsha to the hospital and brought her home. Chris works in recovery at one of the local hospitals and was able to ask the doctor all the right questions. Nice to have a nurse in the family!

This is what she looked like when she first arrived home. She looks terrible but HAD NO PAIN AT ALL!1a as soon as i got home

She has to put cold compresses/frozen peas on her eyes every 20 min. on and 20 min. off. Her eyes were so swollen, and the stitches were very tight. These caused some discomfort, but no pain. She didn't take any Vicodin the first day. What a miracle.

One of the biggest challenges is sleeping. She must keep her head erect. No lying down or on her side. Her back is hurting from just sitting in the same position. She has to try to sleep in this position for at least a week.

This is one day after surgery.

On Sunday morning, she woke up to more swelling than she thought her face could take. Our daughter, Kelly, and Marsha's dad thought she might need to go to the emergency room. Before they did that, Marsha decided to do at least two rounds of compresses and her frozen peas. After the second 20 min., some of the swelling in the left eye started to go down. It continued to go down the rest of the day. It was the third day after surgery, and usually that is the worst day for her.


It is now Tuesday, and she is feeling much much better. Sleep is not coming easily to her. She does doze off and on all day. She isn't allowed to put any more ice on her eyes. Nature has to take over from here. She doesn't like it, but she isn't permitted to go to the gym or do any strenuous work for a couple of weeks. She has a follow-up appointment next Tuesday before flying back to Houston on Wednesday.

The latest picture. Getting better slowly. 11-Tuesday-morning

Thanks so much for your prayers, best wishes and love. It surely helped with the surgery!

HAPPY HANUKKAH to all our dear Jewish friends!

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see ya'll back real soon. Have a great day!



  1. It looks like healing is going well. I'm sure you are thrilled to be regaining full vision.

  2. That looks really uncomfortable, Marsha. I hope it does the trick for you!

  3. I want to tell you, dear friend, that it must have taken a lot of guts to allow those first few pictures of you to be posted. However, you look beautiful to me ... glad you're doing better.

  4. wow glad to see the update on her surgery..bless her heart even tho you say there is no pain it sure looks like there would be...but am glad there isn't...it must be some hard to sleep sitting up..but it will be all worth it in the end..after she completes her recovery...happy holidays :)

  5. She really is starting to look a whole lot better. Just wish she could find a comfortable way to sleep until she can lay down again. So glad it is turning out so well.

  6. Sorry about your sleep Marsha. A good lazy boy?

  7. You know a lot of guys go to jail for that, good thing your in a different part of the country and can prove it..lol

    She looking good get well soon.

  8. Oooh, those are some nasty pictures. So glad to hear that Marsha is doing so well. I think I would have a hard time trying to sleep sitting up (or almost sitting up) too. Looks like she have that pretty face back again soon. I would sure hate to see what the other person looked like after that fight! :)

    Kevin and Ruth

  9. Oh, Marsha - you and Odel will have to get together someday and talk about how annoying it is to be the focus of your blogger-spouse! I can't tell you how often people have commented "I can't believe Odel let you post that photo!" What a good sport you are! Be well...

  10. Hey, Marsha, if I hadn't known you'd had eye surgery, I would have thought that first picture was taken after a great night on the town!!

    It's amazing to see how fast you are healing up.

  11. I'm impressed with the progress documented by the photos. It looks so much better now. Hope Marsha is able to get some sleep.

  12. I worked in ophthalmology for 29 years and I think your lids are looking great. That morning swelling the first few days always scares people. Hope we can get together when you guys come to Mission.

  13. Marsha,
    I know the healing can't happen quick enough for you. Take care and follow the Drs orders.

  14. Wow! You looked pretty rough in the first photo, but it was amazing to see how quickly you were improving. Too bad sleeping is such a problem. When Roger had neck surgery he had to sleep in his recliner with a neck brace for weeks - when he was allowed to get out of that neck brace he took it to the back yard and burned it. Hopefully you'll get back to normal sleeping soon - it must be really annoying and tiring.

    Wishing you both a Merry Christmas!

  15. I do you Marsha is sleeping better by this time. Great pics with timeline on improvements.

  16. Wow,,,Ms Pat is faceing that same ordeal,,,after I show her what all you went through, she may postpone it,,,inefeinitely.... Glad your looking and feeling better...

  17. Thanks for posting this link on my blog. Evidently I had missed this post. The healing process was a lot more difficult than I had realized. It just might scare Al off!


Thanks for leaving us a comment. We enjoy reading them. Have a great day!